This tasty sauce, made from chopped salad vegetables is a colourful way to enjoy a wide range of staple foods with vegetables. Some people even call it Salad Stew. Eat it with white rice, boiled yam, fried plantain or even mashed potatoes.I’ll be making mine with rice.
It is very rich in vitamins and nutrients. So there is no reason why you should not be cooking this recipe as soon as possible.
I promise you’ll not want to eat the Nigerian Red Stew ever again after eating this vegetable sauce.
I must warn you though it takes a while to prepare the vegetables.
1 Whole Chicken (hen)
2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
5 Spring onions
8 fresh plum tomatoes (Jos tomatoes)
8 medium Carrots
10 runner beans
3 medium Irish potatoes or corn flour
1 red bell pepper (optional)
2 green bell pepper
Salt (to taste)
3 big stock cubes
1 tablespoon thyme
Before you cook the Vegetable Sauce
- Wash and cut the vegetables: plum tomatoes (remember to remove the seeds), carrots, runner beans and bell pepper . Remember to scrape the carrots before cutting. Set these aside.
- Peel the Irish potatoes, wash and cut into small pieces. Blend into a thick paste and set aside. This will be used as thickener for the Vegetable Sauce. If you are using corn flour mix with water.
- Wash and cut the whole chicken into pieces. Place in a pot, add chopped spring onions, stock cubes and thyme. Add water to cover the contents of the pot and start cooking.
- When done, add salt to taste and top up the water to the same level as the contents if necessary.
- When the chicken is done you can take some of it and cut into pieces.leave the pieces in the pot and take out the ones that are still whole.
- Once it boils, add the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable oil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the potato puree(mixed corn flour), chopped bell peppers . Stir, cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes on high heat. Add salt to taste and the sauce is ready to be served.
- Now add the whole chicken.
For the rice
- Measure the amount you want.
- Wash it to remove starch.
- Add a little vegetable oil to the pot
- Add rice into the pot
- Stir so the grains look shiny
- Add salt
- Add water twice the volume of the rice measured
- Make sure not to open the lid while cooking. This is because the steam cooks the rice so opening the lid allows the lid to escape
- When rice is done set it down.
Your rice with vegetable sauce and chicken is ready to be served. Bon’appetite